25 April 2010

Burgundy 2007, a great vintage!

This is one of my favourite pictures in my collection. I had the opportunity to continue my love affair with France and its food in early '07 with a trip to visit my good friend Donal.  He chose to do an MBA for a year and we chose to join him for the best part of one of the weeks. We ate and drank our way through southern Ile-de-france and northern Burgundy - much fun!

The town of Chablis ended up as the target for one of our day trips.  Fortunately we got side tracked by a much smaller pretty town just over the hill.  Chablis may always remain famed for its wine, but town of great beauty and interest it is not!  However, can I remember the name of that little town over the hill? Not a chance but when I find it, I'll post it.

The little old lady at the very back of the above picture hosted an impromptu wine tasting of her product.  The whites - all Aligote - were just perfect for the heat of our late April tour.  The 6 or 7 bottles we bought did not last very long.

Tips
- The reds we tried from the area.......were not recommendable.
- Although not from Chablis proper, the wines matched anything I have tried since from the area.

This is the church in 'the-little-town-over-the-hill'

No comments:

Post a Comment