18 May 2010

Anything to distract from the cleaning!

In an effort to distract from the pain of cleaning the house the week before last, I decided to attempt a pavlova for Claire and a couple of her workmates, who were coming over for dinner the following day.  It is not like I have ever made one, and I didn't exactly do a lot of research into the process... I kind of assumed that since I have eaten many of my aunt Mary's pavlovas I would naturally know what to do.  Turns out I was not far off.... although I have since had my methods refined by Tom's Will, and plan further consultation with Mary.


My very basic recipe: beat three egg whites until very firm and peaky with about 150 grams of icing sugar and bake it at 100 degree centigrade for 45 minutes on some greaseproof parchment.  Cornmeal and dash of white wine vinegar I am now told are useful additions to keep the pavlova soft and guey rather than crisp and meringuey.

There are a couple of notes.  Firstly sorry Jenny and Mark that I did not bring you any down but I wasn't sure how much the guys would demolish.  It turns out...most of it!

Secondly, I lathered mine in cream.  That is probably why it tasted so good. 

1 comment:

  1. Great initiative Rory - marked as one of my favourites!
    Now the easy part is done - good luck with keeping it up-to-date in as interesting a way as you've started.
    Bride

    ReplyDelete