04 August 2010

Supporting the West


If I find a new supplier or purveyor of fine foods that I like, I would normally just add them to my list (on the right-hand side of the page).  However, I thought I would give a little shout out to some recent discoveries of food developments west of the Shannon river.   I have been travelling to Mayo since I was one foot tall and although we have picked our mussels, bartered for crabs claws and spun for fish, good quality accoutrements for cooking...spices, herbs, sauces, wine....were always hard to come by!  They had to be transported from well east of the Shannon.

On advice from the parents, I pit-stopped in Cafe Rua in Castlebar for a simple but very effective mozzarella/parma panini.  We were slightly ragged from a day and night last week at the Galway Races and needed some serious grub en route to  Belmullet.  The panini did the trick but it was the rhubarb crumble that I bought for dessert that blew me away later that night.... and then for breakfast the next day...and dessert again. It was fantastic! Note that there are two Rua cafes run by the same people - aim for the one just off the main square for great take-away foods.

Temptation in the Gourmet Tart Company

Galway has Sheridans Cheesemongers & Wine Bar and the Gourmet Tart Company. The latter has a wonderful array of pastries and tarts at dangerously reasonable prices - I don't really need two chocolate & almond croissants in one morning but it is hard not to. Further north in Sligo town is Kates Kitchen.  It is a great little haven of artisan product from Ireland and abroad.  

The search continues for more out of Connaught.






No comments:

Post a Comment